top of page

Three from three in Yorkshire 3

Castleford's 1XV made it three wins in a row against higher-placed Burley at Willowbridge Lane on Saturday 24 September. The result was in the balance until the final three minutes, after Burley hit back to take the lead after a late flourish of tries. However, outside-half, Ian Mattison stepped up to land the 40-metre winning penalty from wide out.

When the Burley threes were caught offside after two minutes, it was Mattison's trusted boot that landed the penalty to open the score.

The home side stretched out to a 10-point lead when winger, Nathan Swarbrick finished off slick, cross-field passing by kicking down the touchline side. Despite being tackled he stood up, regathered and stretched over in the corner. Mattison slotted the difficult, touchline conversion.

Burley narrowed with a penalty before a powerful surge from the Castleford skipper, Jamie Owens, set the platform for their second try as Mickey Firth was on hand to receive before parting to Steve Parkinson who powered over from ten metres. Mattison converted.

Burley steadied and were soon rewarded with two tries within five minutes, one of which was converted, to reduce the deficit to two points.

Mattison returned some semblance of order with another penalty shot on half-time to restore a 20-15 lead.

The second half started slowly with both defences on the front foot. The stalemate was broken at the start of the final quarter when second-rower, Gareth Grant-Mills, found the gap and backing-up, scrum half Ben Mayes was on hand to deliver the decisive pass that sent Swarbrick in for his second try. Mattison converted before landing another penalty to send Castleford into a 15-point lead.

Castleford relaxed and took their foot of the gas. Burley sensed the change and stormed in to gain the ascendency. They turned on the style and in a 10-minute spree, rocked Castleford back on their heels, with a three-try scoring feast, that left them trailing by two points with just three minutes of the game remaining.

Up to the mark, stepped Mattison when the home side were awarded a difficult penalty attempt from forty metres out and ten metres in from the touchline side. The skilful marksman took his time, steadied and sent the ball through the uprights to steal the much-needed win.

Next Saturday the 1XV are away to Thirsk and the 2XV are at home to Bramley Phoenix.

Senior training is Tuesday and Thursday, meeting 18:45, training 19:00 until 20:00.

bottom of page