top of page

Spirited performances from Cas

Resilient Castleford 1XV showed their mettle as they battled back from a 17-3 half time deficit to salvage a draw away at Thirsk in Yorkshire Three.

The gusting wind, straight down the field, gave each side, in turn, a monumental advantage. Castleford played against the wind in the first half and despite a spirited opening, when they took the lead through Ian Mattison's early penalty, they were rocked back on their heels when a relieving kick, ten metres out, was charged down and the converted try conceded.

A second try put the visitors further on the back foot, but they steadied the ship until the third minute of first half injury time when the ball was lost on half-way and snapped up the home-side winger who galloped up-field unopposed for the try.

Early in the second half, the Thirsk scrum half dropped a goal to increase the lead.

Castleford were now playing with the wind and soon realised they were still in the game. The Castleford pack, cohesively took control and intense forward pressure paid dividends when, prop forward, Alex Gomersall crashed over near the posts. Mattison added the goal points and the fight back was on the march.

Skipper, Jamie Owens led from the front gaining valuable metres with two powerful runs. The pack followed his lead with second rower, Jensen Parkin dominating the lineouts gaining clean ball giving the threes further attacking pressure.

The pack were awarded three consecutive scrum penalties five metres out when they powerfully pushed their opponents backwards. Finally, the pressure paid off when number 8 forward picked up from the scrum base to power over for the converted try that took Castleford to within three points with eight minutes remaining.

Mattison's trusty boot levelled the scores five minutes from time. Further pressure did not produce the win and Castleford stretched their unbeaten run to four.

In the Merit League, the 2XV produced a spirited second half display as they fought back from a first half, 17-0 deficit against visitors Bramley Phoenix.

Outside half, Luke Metcalfe broke through the visitors' defensive line before giving winger Connor Cambridge the scoring pass. Metcalfe slotted the conversion.

A scrum move in the Phoenix twenty-two was followed by slick crossfield passing that resulted in a walk-in for winger, Max Longhorne.

Scrum half, Brandon Hudson showed up well and inside centre, Craig Smith produced a non-stop, defensive stint, despite the visitors' 22-12 win.

Senior training is Tuesday and Thursday, meeting 18:45, training 19:00 until 20:00.

bottom of page