The History of Castleford RUFC
150 Years of Rugby

1870

Founding of Castleford Football Club

1871

Formation of the RFU

1872

First Season of Rugby

1885

Easter Tour

1886

Team photo

1888

Castleford played a touring Maori side

1892

Harry Speed first Yorkshire Cap

1896

England v Scotland

1896

Winners of Yorkshire Challenge Cup

1896

England v Wales

1896

Castleford Player's England cap

1896

Foundation of Northern Union

1897

Club handbook confirms the club’s name as Castleford Rugby Football Club

1901

Winners Yorkshire Challenge Cup

1902

Winners Yorkshire Challenge Cup

1906

Winners Yorkshire Challenge Cup

1908

Winners Yorkshire Challenge Cup

1909

‘Battle of Headingley’

1914

Arthur Hartley appointed President of the RFU

1926

Rugby Union included in Castleford Grammar School curriculum

1926

Club readmitted to Yorkshire RFU

1928

Joshua Hartley (son of Arthur) appointed President

1933

Donald Hardy elected as Hon Sec

1936

9th Annual Dance at the Gaiety Ballroom

1937

Runners Up Yorkshire Challenge Shield

1939

Club ceased to play due to World War II

1946

Old Legiolians formed from Old Boys of Castleford Grammar School

1947

A proposal to amalgamate Old Legiolians with Castleford RUFC defeated

1948

Amalgamation of Old Legiolians and Castleford RUFC

1949

Runners Up Yorkshire Challenge Shield

1950

Ground Committee of Messrs, Keighley, Pritchard and Riddiough formed to search for a suitable ground

1953

Move to Pinfold Lane, Methley

1954

Kit change

1955

Tour to Scotland

1956

Yorskhire Shield runners up

1958

Debut of Keith Thompson

1959

Runners Up Yorkshire Challenge Shield

1960s

John Bennett top appearance

1962-63

The Big Freeze

1963

Death of Bill Hartley, the long serving President; Donald Hardy replaced him

1964

February – December run of 26 consecutive wins

1965

Bridlington Sevens winners

1967- 68

Outstanding results for 4 teams

1969-70

Outstanding success by the first three teams

1970-71

Successful Season

1973

Purchase of Whitwood Colliery Welfare ground

1974

Opening of New Clubhouse

1974

First annual VP Lunch and introduction of junior rugby

1976

1976 Team

1977

Winners of the Norman Elstrob Memorial Trophy and during October and November

1979

flooding of the ground and club house from Carr Beck

1979-80

The 1st XV enjoyed their most successful season since the move from Methley

1980

Winners of the Norman Elstob Memorial Competition

1981

Elstrob Trophy winners

1982

Resignations from the committee received from Club President, Donald Hardy, and Chairman of Selectors, Rowland Stephens

1984

agreement not to seek match day subs from members involved in the miners’ strike

1985

Boxing Day Match Club 1st XV v Presidents XV organised

1986

Club Captains photograph

1987

Start of leagues in Yorkshire – club in Yorkshire 1

1988

Donald Hartley retired as President but took on role of Patron, Harry Schumm became

1989

First ever Car Boot Sale

1990

Stand constructed by members

1992

League games expanded to 12 per season

1996-97

1XV in Yorkshire 2 with League games expanded to 18

1996-97

2XV started in the newly formed 2nd XV League

1997

2XV Champions of Yorkshire Two League

1998

2XV Champions of Yorkshire One League

1999

2XV Champions of Yorkshire One League

1999

Yorkshire Challenge Shield win photo

2002-03

League structure changed and 1XV in Yorkshire 3

2003

Juniors Section restarted by John Paul

2005

Danny Paul played for England U19

2006

More Drainage Improvements

2007

Promotion to Yorkshire 3 and Yorkshire Silver Trophy win

2007

Castleford U13s win Castleford 7s

2008

Promotion to Yorkshire 2 and EDF Junior win at Twickenham Yorkshire 2

2008

Girls section started

2010

Stand Extension Complete

2012

Extension of changing rooms

2013-14

U17 Colts win Yorkshire Division 4 and Interdivisional Cup

2014

Groundwork and electricity and water supply to Methley pitches

2015

U15 Girls win National Cup

2017

England Red Roses Women Forwards use the club as a training base

2018

Launch of RESPECT campaign

2020

TR Stephens died

now

The Club and Clubhouse now